When I first posted this it was just a list, but after reading and responding to a tweet from a friend, I felt a need to elaborate. There are a lot of people going without a paycheck now and the pain is getting real. Imagine being forced to choose between vital medicine and the electric bill. I’ve read some Trump supporters ( or perhaps Russian trolls ) belittling the struggle by pointing out that back pay will be coming, but there are some people in situations that can’t be put on hold. And not everyone can save three or four months in advance just in case the government doesn’t keep its promises.
But as terrible as the current situation is, it’s important to keep in mind what a terrible idea the wall is. The amount of long-term hardship that will be caused by funding the wall has to be balanced against the hardship of standing against it. It’s not just about Democrats showing backbone and it’s not just about appeasing the Democratic base.
Here are some reasons why the wall is such a idea.
1) The wall would require the seizure of land from thousands of property owners, many of whom will suffer significant property losses.
2) The wall would divide communities such as the Tohono o’odham Native Americans in Arizona
3) The wall will cause disastrous environmental damage , such as habitat destruction and the disruption of animal migration patterns
4) Trump can’t be trusted. Repeatedly, Trump has offered deals in exchange for funding, and then changed his mind about those offers.
5) We don’t know how much it will cost, what it will look like, or how effective it will be. Everywhere else in the world, and until now in America, big projects are planned first. Trump wants his money first. We don’t even have a working prototype.
6) The people don’t want it. Even among those who voted for Trump because they wanted the wall did so believing that Mexico will pay for it.
7) It will encourage more hostage taking. If we give Trump a win on this, he will only cause more damage the next time he doesn’t get what he wants.