I get it. The military pay raise comment was a joke. But it’s not the first joke Trump made belittling military service members and Trump has repeatedly insulted military personnel and their families, including those who have lost loved ones in the line of duty. How often does Trump get to insult military personnel and their families – in jest or otherwise – before everyone understands that he has real contempt for those who sacrifice for our nation?
The man clearly thinks that real sacrifice is stupid and has no respect for anyone who does so.
- He joked that having multiple fuck partners made him as brave as a soldier.
- He insulted the parents of a soldier who died in combat
- While discussing the loss of the Khan’s son, Trump actually said, “I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard.”
- He insulted John McCain for getting captured
- He still hasn’t visited the troops in combat zones
I can go on. Others have, (see: https://www.cheatsheet.com/…/every-time-trump-has-disrespe…/) but it’s hard to even keep up.
I’ve lived through years of listening to people complain that Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, having never served, don’t respect our military. But I’ve never before seen someone who never served take jabs at service members. I’ve never before seen anyone publicly insult a Gold Star family. I’ve never before seen someone do as little for the military as Trump does, then lie about it, claiming that he’s done more than his predecessors.
We have a head of the Environmental Protection Agency who is dismantling environmental protections, a Secretary of Education who hates public schools, a Secretary of Treasury who failed to report $100 Million in assets due to an “oversight”. I supposed it’s only fitting to have a Commander in Chief who is disgusted by military service.