A day in my life.

Yesterday, I drove home, to Suffolk, Virginia, from Cape May. I had driven up in a Government Vehicle (GV) which happened to be a Dodge Caravan. I got home at around 8:pm. We use one camper as the kitchen, but since my son came home from North Carolina because the jobs dried up, the kitchen is also his bedroom. My wife made me a quesadilla, which I was snacking on when I heard a buzzing sound, which I thought was coming from a garbage bag.  Maybe a fly.

We have a small herd of goats. They’re usually quiet at night but occasionally they make some noise hoping we’ll give them a snack. Last night, one was making some noise. I threw some hay in before I went to bed.

I planned on going into work the next morning but I realized that the buzzing sound was water, leaking from a connection to the water heater. Water had been leaking for at least a day and a puddle had been forming under the camper. It had been brutally cold this winter. I turned off the water from a valve at the water pipe in back of the camper.

I called my boss, and said I’d wouldn’t be coming to work today, but I’d connect with the computer and get some work done.

The goat was still making noise. I went out to look. She was pregnant. She had been in labor all night. There was little hoof poking out but she was not able to push any more. I tried to help her. That means reaching in and pulling. It wasn’t working. I woke my wife up. My hands were sticky and I couldn’t wash them because the water was off.

My wife came out to help me with the goat. No luck. I started preparing the truck for her. It was cold and I didn’t want to dump her in the back of the truck so I put a tarp over the back street. But my wife had a different idea. It was time to put her down. The kid was dead, or at least felt cold. We shouldn’t spend $200 or so to take a goat, dying and in pain, to a vet who probably won’t be able to help. And we don’t want a goat who has trouble delivering. You have to make tough decisions sometimes. So I ended her suffering with three 22’s. I’m pretty sure the first one was enough but I generally use three to be sure.

I hung her and drained her. But I didn’t start the skinning and dressing because I had a water heater to work on. It was cold enough to leave her hanging for a while. I went to Lowes to get the parts I needed. I came back and I started working on the plumbing. At one point, I misplaced a section of pipe. It was black and it just disappeared somewhere and I spent about an hour looking for it. I found it on a black metal chair. While I was working on the plumbing, I had a computer hooked up and I was reading and answering emails.

When I finished the plumbing I skinned and gutted the goat. Waste not want not. Since I left her hanging for so long she’ll be dog food. We feed our dogs raw meat.

As I’m writing this, I still haven’t cleaned the GV. And I haven’t gotten my uniform ready for tomorrow.

Next Post
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s